Recipe: Hot Cross Scones
LET'S TEACH YOU OUR HOT CROSS SCONE RECIPE
If you're finding that you have a little more time on your hands than usual and you fancy baking this Easter, we're here to help.
Growing up in England, I could always rely on my mother to bake hot cross buns on Good Friday. I came to love them so much that I decided to implement the recipe to create the Hot Cross Scone! If you haven’t been lucky enough to buy one of our Easter hampers this year, this recipe will make sure you don’t miss out.
Please stay safe and socially distanced if you leave your home to purchase ingredients for your scones.
- 1 Kilogram self raising flour
- 250 Grams salted butter
- 800 Millilitres
- Table spoon of mixed spice
- Sultanas, raisins
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a flat baking tray with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl combine sifted flour and butter.
- Rub butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add two tablespoons of mixed spice and saltanas & raisines.
- Make a well in the centre. Add buttermilk stirring until dough almost comes together.
- Gently press remaining dough together and turn out onto a floured board.
- Gently press or roll out dough until 2 1⁄2 cm thick.
- Cut with a medium size cutter and place scones 1 cm apart on prepared tray.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until light golden
- Allow to cool and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar in a cross before serving. Best eaten when still warm.
- Scones should be broken in half with your hands and not a knife.
- Add cream & jam for extra deliciousness